Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Wednesday Wars

I just finished this book last night, so I thought I would write about it while it's still fresh in my mind. . .

I'll admit that I was skeptical about reading a book about the seventh grade, and honestly sometimes children and public schools just gross me out (aka the coat closet, the rats, the lunch surprises, etc.) but as I got into the book, I realized that there was much more to it than that.

I enjoyed the author's writing style as well. I found him quite funny at times and found myself laughing out loud. He did a great job at portraying believable characters who had real depth to them. I loved watching the characters grow and develop and change throughout the story. I especially grew to love Mrs. Baker. She truly displayed the power of teaching and what an impact teachers can have on the lives of their students.

I was impressed by the fact that not only was Holling understanding Shakespeare and pulling out deeper morals and meanings, but that he was also memorizing it. I look back on my own middle school days and can assure you that I would not have grasped Shakespeare. I was also impressed that while going through such an insecure and vulnerable time in his life, Holling was a really good kid. He tried to do what was right, he respected other people, and he loved his family despite their dysfunctionality.

Great book overall! I may have enjoyed it more at a younger age, but I am glad that I could still appreciate it at 23. I like the fact that through this book club I get to read books that are good, that I normally wouldn't have given a chance.

No comments: