Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Jane Eyre . . . almost

I should have posted this a long time ago. . . I did read most of Jane Eyre, but I didn't get to finish it before it was due back at the library. I tried to renew it, but couldn't because someone had requested it - maybe one of you lovely ladies?? Anyways, I got to the intense part when they were about to get married and everything blew up into smoke when it was discovered that Mr. Rochester was already married to another woman aka crazy lady! What bad timing to have to give the book up!

I had seen the movie already, so I knew what was going to happen and I already know how the story will end, but I am still planning to finish it one of these days. While the movie is excellent, I would not recommend watching it before you read the book. I normally don't do that, and now I am reminded as to why. It takes some of the fun out of reading the book if you already know what the outcome will be.

It took me awhile to get into the book. I would probably have been ok if the first 1/3 of it didn't exist. To me, it was just slow. But it did offer important insights into Jane's life and who she is and why she acted the way she did. It was very sad to see the way she was treated as a child and hard to read about how she never really expected to be loved, even by Mr. Rochester. In the end, she got more than what she had ever hoped for, and what I think she deserved - true love.

I am glad to know that our book club is still alive and that you're out there reading the books! Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one . . . and then somebody posts a comment and I get all excited. I look forward to many more good books to come!

No comments: